The ISSST 2018 conference features three themes, Advances in Circular Economy, Resilient Infrastructure Systems, and LCA (life cycle assessment) of Emerging Technologies. Selected submissions will be considered for a Special Issue on “Resilient Infrastructure Systems” in Infrastructures, a Virtual Special Issue on “Advances in the Circular Economy” in Resources, Conservation and Recycling, and a Special Issue in Journal of Industrial Ecology.
Advances in Circular Economy
This special theme welcomes participation from academia, industry, government and NGOs involved in the interdisciplinary enterprise of building a circular economy. This is a paradigm shift from the traditional “linear” and wasteful approach of resource management towards building synergistic, closed material and energy loops across various man-made systems such as manufacturing, energy, water, and food. Topics of interest include but not limited to:
- Methodological advances: fundamental advances in research methods for analyzing and improving the circular economy in materials, food, energy, and water resources management.
- Business Models and Market dynamics in the Circular Economy: business and economic approaches to understanding why and how companies are pursuing circular economy opportunities, enabling companies to move towards circular economy model
- Social Aspects of Circular Economy: approaches for understanding the social implications of circular economy advances, including challenges and disparities
- Scenario assessment for building Local, Regional or Global Circular Economy
- Case studies demonstrating broader implications and/or interaction among related topics
- Geographical Variability & Challenges in Sustainable Material World: analysis of geographic variation in application of circular economy principles in different parts of the work
Selected papers from the conference program will be invited for a Virtual Special Issue on “Advances in the Circular Economy” in Resources, Conservation and Recycling.
Additionally, ISSST 2018 will feature Keynote talks on “Perspectives on Future of Material World and Role of Circular Economy” by eminent faculty, industry professionals, and government & policy practitioners.
ISSST 2018 Advances in Circular Economy Co-Chairs
- Shweta Singh, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
- Weslynne Ashton, IIT Stuart, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Callie Babbitt, RIT, Rochester, New York, USA
- Raj Buch, ASU, Tempe, Arizona, USA
Resilient Infrastructure Systems
Topics of interest but not limited to::
- Decision Making for Resilient Infrastructure
- Community Resilience
- Critical Infrastructure Resilience
- Risk and Resilience Metrics
- Socio-technological Networks
- Infrastructure Simulation and Visualization
- Organizational and Institutional Resilience
- Humans and Disasters
Selected papers from the conference program will be invited for a Special Issue on “Resilient Infrastructure Systems” in Infrastructures (open access).
ISSST 2018 Resilient Infrastructure Co-Chairs
- Susan Spierre Clark, RENEW Institute, University at Buffalo
- Jennifer Schneider, Collaboratory for Resiliency and Recovery, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Andrea Hicks, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison
LCA of Emerging Technologies
Topics of particular focus include:
Emerging Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methods for emerging technologies
Integration of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Techno-Economic Analysis (TEA), market dynamics, technology landscapes and experience curves
Novel scenario analysis and case studies
Selected papers from the conference program will be invited for a Special Issue in Journal of Industrial Ecology.
ISSST 2018 LCA of Emerging Technologies Co-Chairs
Joule Bergerson, University of Calgary, Canada
Stefano Cucurachi, Leiden University, the Netherlands
Caroline Taylor, Earthshift Global, USA
Additional co-editors of the special issue in Journal of Industrial Ecology
- Thomas P Seager, Arizona State University
- Jeroen Guinée, Leiden University